SPARC Development was founded by business educated individuals who recognize that a wealth of feasible market-based solutions to global poverty exist, but often go overlooked.
These ideas often have the potential to encourage economic development, have a positive impact on the lives of others, and create long-term, sustainable change across the world.
However, generally, 3 impediments exist that hinder the transformation of these ideas into action:
(1) inadequate financial resources
(2) insufficient industry and organizational knowledge
(3) problematic access to product or service markets.
SPARC is excited by the realization that the resources needed to overcome these impediments exist and are readily available. The resources simply need to be matched in a targeted manner with the opportunities.
Thus, SPARC will work to transform ideas into action by employing a networked approach to:
- Identify well-researched, market-based solutions through University partnerships
- Assess the recommendations for implementation and need for additional exploratory research
- Secure the necessary funding through a combination of donors and social impact investors
- Recruit and assemble industry professionals to provide pro bono services
- Facilitate access to relevant markets and promote awareness
Wine in Ethiopia
SPARC’s first project is to establish two grape-growing, winemaking cooperatives in Ethiopia that will help improve the lives of farmers, while also helping develop an industry that will have a greater impact on the country.